Sunday, April 7, 2024

Beauty and River of Darkness

 




I finished reading Beauty by Robin McKinley and was just as enchanted with the story this time as I was as an adolescent though with a very different point of view.  As an adolescent I really enjoyed the romance of the story and didn't really feel that the story began until Beast entered the  picture.  As a 52 year old, I was enchanted with the story as a whole.  It is a beautiful retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale with a nice, simple and cozy storyline.  Nothing ground breaking in the book but when you are done with it you feel as though you've had a mostly relaxing vacation in another world and are now better ready to face daily life.



Having finished Beauty you would think I would get back to Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling but I've actually moved on to River of Darkness by Rennie Airth.  This is not a nice cozy story but it, so far, has been a good police procedural mystery set in the same timeframe, more or less, as the Ian Rutledge novels by Charles Todd.  I'm not sure it is very accurate to the timeline as I've questioned some of the ideas of it being a little too modern but it has been fairly enjoyable puzzle of a mystery.  I like the main character and am curious about the whodunit and seem to be progressing fairly well with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment