Saturday, March 16, 2024

Let's talk Sjogren's syndrome and reading

 Sjogren's syndrome is one of the many autoimmune disorders that a person can be unfortunate enough to have.  It is probably one of the better ones as these things go especially compare to Rheumatoid Arthritis and crohn's disease but it still causes issues big and small and some of them, at least for me, are with reading.

I have two problems.  The first is that dry eyes causing blurry vision.  I try to solve this with eyedrops and for the most part it works though I'm about to try an eye ointment to see if the good effects last a bit longer.  

The bigger problem for me is joint and muscle pain.  It is very hard to enjoy reading when it causes you pain and holding a book or kindle for more than 5 minutes definitely causes me pain.  However I'm determined to find a way for this to work.  Right now it is by reading from my desktop computer when the kindle gets to heavy but I'm going to try some other ideas.  My thoughts are a wrist brace as the most pain is in my wrist and the added support might be helpful or a pillow tablet and book support.  

If anyone stumble's across this post and has better suggestions please share them and I'll be posting a follow up post in case I can help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment