Friday, March 15, 2024

Luck in the Shadows and The Skeleton's Knee

 I love YouTube and was looking for someone on BookTube I wanted to listen to but there wasn't anyone who came close to my taste in books.  Most likely this is a combination of the fact that I'm years out of date on books and that the books I read are all over the place.  

Currently I'm rereading Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling and listening to The Skeleton's Knee by Archer Mayor.

Luck in the Shadows is a much loved fantasy book that I have enjoyed a number of times before.  The last time was in 2021 though I don't remember much about it as that year was the year my mother passed away and by the time she passed I had spent a number of years sleep deprived in the extreme.  I believe I first read this book in 2004.  Unfortunately I'm missing a number of details and I've never gone past the original trilogy so when I started to read Shadow's Return, book 4 in the series, I found the references confusing.  So we begin again.  Below there may be spoilers.

I'm enjoying reading Luck in the Shadows this time.  I've listened to it since the first reading but not actually read it since 2004.  Knowing where the story leads, Alec's age is problematic for me though I believe he is of age when the romance finally gets there.  He comes across as quite naive in the beginning but very brave and stubborn.  This is well portrayed and helps with the world building.  I think this is well done but to be honest I was happier before I knew such terms as world building.  Books are a lot more fun when you enjoy them rather than analyze them.

The Skeleton's Knee is enjoyable so far.  I was looking for a good mystery with more detective work and less we are going to be attacked at any moment.  I want a puzzle not a thriller.  I haven't listened to any other books in this series though though I tried the first one but grew too anxious worrying about people.  Still I like Joe and I'm curious about where the story is going.  They've just uncovered the skeleton's knee so I'm not too sure of what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment